Some pictures from the Temple of Heaven, which Mandi and I visited a few weeks ago. The temple is located in south central Beijing, and is filled with people doing all sorts of fun things - playing games, dancing, Tai Ji, etc. Historically, it is the place that the emperors would visit to pray for good harvests.
Water calligraphy on the grounds, very cool to watch.
Looking south towards the main gate. A smoggy day but not even close to the worst.
The beautiful ceilings. Per my post below, I'm very glad they chose to repaint these as they were intended to be viewed.
Mandi in front of the temple.
Some Tai Ji practitioners towards the north end of the temple grounds. It was a lovely morning even through the pollution.
3 comments:
dude, water calligraphy. That's so cool, non-destructive public art, very nifty. That reminds me of something I had run across on some blog I read. Reverse graffiti, (of course san fran hippies).
你是不是再瘦了? 好的! 我回家的时候,我妈说我在学校没吃好. 所以她给我吃很多,可是她当然要不要我减肥? 哎呀,哈哈.
Anyway, the water calligraphy is very cool (with a massive sponge-brush thing no less!). And one day I endeavor to be one of those epic old guys doing tai chi or whatnot.
English San Fran hippies, Benn :)
Yeah they actually had like three of these guys side by side writing out verses, pretty neat. I couldn't get a good picture of the people playing "throw the big foam ring and have another person catch it around their head" though :(
Also old ladies love hacky sacks with little shuttlecock tails on them....ah Chinese recreation.
Post a Comment