Saturday, October 25, 2008

Authenticity is an issue that I run into frequently here in China. For one thing, China is certainly known the world over for its fakes - fake DVDs, fake name-brand clothes and so on. Even the recent tainted milk issues were based on the idea of producing "fake" milk - that is, using filler to trick quality control and get the poisoned milk onto shelves. But authenticity operates in a lot of ways in a place changing as fast and with as long a history as China.

For instance, many of you are familiar with the hutongs or traditional style of housing in Beijing - four or more families arranged around a courtyard, each courtyard opening through an arch onto the alleyway or street. These dwellings have been rapidly demolished, especially in the run up to the Olympic Games this year. Two years ago I travelled through a Beijing in which entire blocks were marked with "chai," the Chinese character for "demolish." This year I haven't seen a single "chai," but I have seen plenty of widened avenues and newly built commercial complexes named after the hutongs that previously stood in their place. Is the Beijing I see today less authentic than that which existed two or twenty years ago?

Another example is that of the traditional tourist sights and their restorations. The Forbidden City has been totally repainted in the last couple years to look like it was built yesterday. Large sections of the Great Wall have been totally rebuilt since their destruction, which sometimes was as recent as the Cultural Revolution. Tourists can walk along a Great Wall that is only twenty years old. Are these things diminished by their newness?

In most cases I don't think they are. The Temple of Heaven has been rebuilt something like thirty times over the past six centuries - wooden construction lends itself to frequent fire / rebuilding cycles. Each time, that place remained the place where Emperors offered sacrifices for the harvest. Today the thirty-oddth Temple stands as a center of Beijing tourism, Beijing history and Beijing's civic life as a park space used daily by thousands of residents and visitors. Similarly with the Great Wall and Forbidden City - the particular wood or bricks aren't as important as the form and location.

The hutong situation is definitely more difficult, partly because other cities have done a much better job of preserving their ancient core while still modernizing. Xi'an and Luoyang are two cities in China that managed to entirely preserve or at least reconstruct the old city walls and gates, with the areas insides reflecting the traditional architecture, dwellings etc. while the high rises go up outside. Given their success, Beijing has certainly failed - but I have trouble declaring this inauthentic. Beijing is the capital and a symbol of where China is and is going, and while I mourn the fact that so much history has been wiped out, the Beijing that exists right now is as authentically turn of the century urban China as anyplace else.

Anyway, these are just a few of the thoughts bouncing around my mind as I visit the sights and live day to day in a place with 3,500 years of recorded history.

7 comments:

Alb said...

Very well written and thought-provoking Jackson. :D Hey, I may get a chance to see you in 4 months! :P

Dan Jenkins said...

This is a situation presented in every archaeology class that I have taken: who owns the cultural relics of the past? It's one of the few philosophical debates within the archaeological community and it's at the crux of this situation.

As a student of classical Europe/Middle East, I would have trouble supporting an effort from modern governments to restore ancient ruins to their former glory. Does the Egyptian government have right to rebuild the pyramids of Giza to the way they were 4000 years ago? Should the Italian government rebuild the Roman forum? In a more extreme case, was it right for the German and Italian fascists to claim themselves as inheritors of the Roman Empire? In my opinion, "no" is the answer to all of the above.

I believe that governments should be responsible caretakers of the human history within their borders, and not strive to mask their shortcomings through false cultural heritage.

Though, I tend to agree with you concerning China. The current people residing in China are essentially the same ones who resided their throughout the history of the Chinese state (in its many forms). Still, I doubt the motives of the Chinese government. They are willing restore the big tourist magnet sites. However, when they need a new dam, the more archaeologically valuable, but less financially valuable sites are sacrificed with haste.

I'll stop there so the comment page doesn't get loaded with a term paper :)

Jackson said...

Hmm, well as I've said before I would support the Italian government rebuilding the colosseum in a historically accurate manner and then holding soccer games in it on special occasions, so perhaps we just feel differently. I think that sometimes these objects, when kept in a damaged, weathered, functionless state really become "unnatural" in a way and lose their raison d'être, if I may be so openly elitist as to drop French phrases with circumflexes on the "e."

Obviously your criticism of the Chinese government's selective preservation is spot on, and if we look at how much damage has been done to historical sites and relics since the 1950's its staggering. For instance, just at the Longmen Grottoes (post below) probably about 25% of the statuary I saw had been defaced, literally, by Chinese themselves during the cultural revolution. Not to mention Mao's success in totally destroying the old wall and gates of Beijing, leaving us with nothing of the old imperial city's form but some subway stop names. I know that today they do make a lot of efforts at preservation as well - unfortunately with so much history, so many people to keep happy and so much more money in building things it's bound to suffer at the hands of development.

As I think about this I realize I am very inconsistent, a lot of which does have to do with the ownership question you raise. I don't mind the Chinese government rebuilding parts of the Great Wall since it's sort always been an imperial project, but I would mind them redoing the Longmen Grottoes statuary since that was originally done by and for Buddhists. Of course religious significance is a whole other factor in these things. But concisely, while restoration is fraught with dangers, I think it should be on the table in a case in which ownership is clear, there aren't religious connections that could lead to a government/clergy conflict and accurate historical information on the form of the site is available. Anyway, thanks for the contribution! I wish I had taken more history in college :(

Dan Jenkins said...

Does Bill Martin have the right to "Trash the Big House"? Legally, I suppose he does, but that doesn't make it right.

I think I heard somewhere that Michigan Stadium was designed so it could be expanded to hold 200,000+. Little did Fielding Yost know that future expansion capacity = luxury boxes...

As the commercials say, "That's the Michigan Difference."

Jackson said...

Well, sure I agree with you about Bill Martin. But if a thousand years from now the Big House had fallen into disrepair, would you be against the future Ann Arborites restoring it so that people could see the venue that fans experienced back when people still had money to go to football games? :P

Dan Jenkins said...

If humanity is still around in the 31st century, I would find it hard to begrudge them a cultural indulgence. If I stay true to my philosophical view, I would say that if 31st century Ann Arborites were, in essence, Americans then they could do what they want with the ruins.

Definitely a legitimate concern since defining an American ethnicity today is just as difficult as defining an American ethnicity in 1000 years. Hopefully, the holodeck will be invented in the interim so people can experience the past without damaging sites where scientists are still studying the past.

Alan said...

Jackson,
Talking with my Japanese boss today about an article in the Economist mentioning Xinji, "about four hours' drive south of Beijing, in the dusty plain of Hebei province." The connection is that my boss' first name is Shinji. Though he didn't think his name used the same Chinese characters in Japanese kanji. So he went out to Google Earth and tried to find the city in China. But he wasn't able to read the Chinese characters. Then he told me how the Chinese characters have been simplified over the last 60 years. So if you could help us understand how to investigate the possible connection between the characters for Xinji in China and his name Shinji in Japanese. I understand it would be difficult, but I thought I'd ask. We did talk about you and what you were doing in China. He spent two years in Hong Kong and knows quite a bit of Mandarin and Cantonese. His command of Japanese kanji characters amazes me. We miss you and speak of you often. Love and best wishes, (Uncle) Alan.