Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pictures soon, I swear.  

Broad generalizations from my limited experience. Cities. Real cities...not suburbs or exurbs or large towns. American cities at night tend toward the majestic. The Chicago lakefront, Manhattan, even someplace like Cincinnati from across the Ohio River. Tall buildings, regular windows, simply present - masses rising up in the darkness, streets cutting through them carrying the flows of cars. On the other hand, European cities at night seem to me enchanting. The low buildings and winding streets, lights illuminating a centuries-old fountain or church. Even a couple lanes of curving traffic can't dull the Plaza Mayor or the aroma of a Parisian restaurant.

Chinese cities, having been subject to the physical colonization of Europe and the cultural colonization of the United States, have elements of both. Tianjin's Italian district, or the gleaming towers of the Pudong New Area in Shanghai, for instance. But above all, Chinese cities at night are exuberant. They're filled with flashing, shifting lights - entire walls of buildings lit up like the Vegas Strip. The organized chaos of traffic adds to the effect, sparks coming together in swarms and just as quickly splitting apart. Think of the iconic Bird's Nest Olympic stadium, aglow in red - straining outward and showing off.

And lots more too, of course, from the rusting industrial to walls and gates built five hundred years ago. But it seems to me that, with good reason, exuberance is where they're headed.

9 comments:

Dan Jenkins said...

First!

I am curious about what some of the booming cities of the Middle East look like at night. The shock of seeing Doha or Dubai during the day is already quite profound. Glistening spires sprouting from the desert with pools and tennis courts spattered across rooftops and open lots. I suppose I could get some nighttime pictures from the interwebs, but that definitely removes the immersion factor.

Time to schedule a visit and then base jump off the Burj Dubai, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Alb said...

Hmm, perhaps I'll visit you while you're still in China so I can see for myself. :D

Jackson said...

Alb you totally should. It would be great.

Re: base jumping - might as well wait for the even taller building assuredly being built in Dubai.

Ruo Chen Lin said...

In contrast with Dan, I am more interested in seeing the girls in the Middle East. My theory has always been that they have very charming eyes, but Brad and Benn has always reminded me that I feel this way because that's they only part of their body I am permitted to lay my eyes upon. So I think I may have to go there and find out for myself.

I am glad that you like Chinese cities.Downtowns and inner cities of the American cities are not as attractive at nights for ordinary law-abiding citizens.

Jackson said...

Re: Ruo Chen

Well, it depends on where you are in both, I think. That's the trouble with generalization posts.

Ruo Chen Lin said...

I love generalizations, Jackson!
The world is so much simpler if you see all things in generalizations!

All Chinese kids knows how to do math!

All Americans like Cheese Fries!

All Americans like Pizza!

All Chinese has one little red book!

Jackson said...

hey man, all americans definitely do like cheese fries.

Unknown said...

Now Ruo Chen. I have never once told you that you like muslim eyes because that's all you can see. With that said, given the chance I would say exactly that.

All American girls give it up all over the place too. I know that we have all capitalized on that unequivocal generalization.

Oh new thought... please put cheese on my blueberry potato chip stuffed duck. thx

Dan Jenkins said...

Ruo Chen, I know that there are places, even in the Axis of Evil cardholder Iran, where women publicly replace their restrictive clothing. If I remember correctly, the ski resorts and Iranian nude beaches (not actually nude, but like a regular beach anywhere else) are well-known instances.

Speaking of generalizations and nude beaches, I remember from my time spent in Italy that every beach qualified as a nude beach. Unfortunately, this was a mixed blessing, for obvious reasons. On the other hand, there were vendors on the beaches that sold fresh coconuts.